Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Thanksgiving Turkey

A couple of weeks ago the Dad-in-law was sitting on his porch enjoying the mountain scenery. A flock of wild turkeys entered into the driveway. Dad-in-law rushed inside and called Shelly. Full of excitement he told Shelly of the feathered beasts in the drive. Shelly jokingly told him to shoot one for Thanksgiving. So...off went Larry with his .22 rifle. He quickly called back and said the he got one! Hmmmm...only a couple of things wrong, to start with turkey season has ended here and Larry didn't have a tag to bag the bird. So what was I to do. Shelly was very excited. She rushed over and hung the turkey to bleed out. We got some water for scalding and opted to pluck by hand. What's one bird? I called the DOW officer and explained my predicament. The officer laughed at me and said since we have been so easy going about losing stock to bears and mountain lions that she wouldn't penalize us for one little turkey. She also told me the next time, shoot more than one as she loves wild turkey. Okay...not going to jail over this one...good thing. Shelly brought the bird home and we processed him and threw him in the fridge. He's ready for dinner!




Shelly with the bird!




Into the hot tub.




Most of the feathers are off.




All ready for the big day!


I love the fact that this year's bird is not from Safeway or Wal-Mart. I love knowing that if I had to feed my family without the aid of Butterball that I could do it. It only took us about 10 minutes from start to finish to process the big guy. I'm sure that I won't have to worry about HFCS.

Happy Thanksgiving. I'm thankful for SOOOO MUCH!

No comments:

Post a Comment