Saturday, April 16, 2011

Eggs, eggs and more eggs....I hope.


I'm making and educated guess at the number chickens that are in molt. I'm guessing 45 of the 50. All but one hen and the roos are blowing feathers as if they have a contract with a pillow manufacturer. I continue to get one little green egg a day. Darn hormones. Try as I might, I can't get Shelly organized but I darn sure have those chickens on a tight schedule.

Gizmo duck is clicking along on her summer schedule quite nicely. I've collected 10 eggs from her now. I'm ignoring Bean's protests. Bean likes ducklings, I like duck egg omelets. As soon I as I get the "new to me" aviary assembled I'll be moving the ducks and their pool into it. Maybe then I'll let Gizmo sit on a few. Only if she promises to have hens, I'm all full up on drakes. She had two successful hatches last summer. One of the girls that comes by the ranch frequently, purchased the hens from me. I don't know what I was thinking. I would have been happy to sell the drakes too except Shelly and Bean became attached to them quite quickly. One has a puffball hair do and the other...I don't know why we kept him.

Hazel the turkey has started laying eggs too. I need to get her and George settled in their new home as well. Bean and Shelly are determined to incubate and hatch poults this summer too. I offered to make an incubator from a Styrofoam cooler, but Shelly declined. She's much rather spend money on a fancy one, with a fan and humidity control. Boring!

I'm just happy that Spring time at the ranch has something other than lambs to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment