Friday, February 10, 2012

I'm a WINNER! As if you didn't already know!


Last night Guffey Community Charter School held their Annual Pie Palooza!  It's fundraiser in which locals donate their best pies for a contest and auction.  Since Jolene started attending school in Guffey last year just after the Pie Palooza, I had no idea what a magnificent  event it was.  Guffey School has between 25-30 students enrolled in K-8th grades.  It's a wonderful school in an extraordinary community.  Our little school was packed with people and A LOT of pies!  Last year's winner, Norma Farmer entered a delectable Chocolate Pecan Pie which fetched a tidy sum of $210 in the auction!  Aside from the great melodrama, All is Fair in Love and Pie, put on by the students my favorite part of the evening was WINNING!  I won first place in my category (categories are Fruit, Cream and Other) and best pie overall!  Can you believe it?  I'm still in shock!  I have been so disorganized with bottle feeding babies, lecturing the child, petting the dogs, collecting eggs, milking things and annoying Shelly that I was really on the fence about making a pie.  On Wednesday evening since I was still awake I decided that I would give it a shot and so I made a quick trip the grocery (45 miles away) and opted to put something together.  I settled on a Double Decker Pumpkin Caramel pie.  I stole the recipe from Recipe Girl at    http://www.recipegirl.com/2011/10/03/double-decker-pumpkin-caramel-pie/.  I know it was out of form for me, and I did add some secret touches but for the most part, it's the same pie!  I didn't get to taste any but I got lots of good feedback.

I rushed home last night to tell the family and as you can see by the picture, Isadora was unmoved by the whole experience.  She loves pumpkin and when I didn't have any to spare she pouted on the couch.

Now I've got to start experimenting so that I can win again next year!  I'm not a competitive person but truly, I have to WIN!  

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Rose! I had a great time and our little school raised just under $2500 for the scholarship fund and there was PIE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visit my site I left sometihing for you

    ReplyDelete