Monday, February 6, 2012

Crazy Kids!

I tried to get some decent pictures of the kids.  It was futile to even try.  The kids are separated from their mamas each morning so that we may milk in the evenings.  It's nice arrangement, full of positive energy and sharing!  Okay, no so much.  At first the kids are all for it.  They escape their stalls and run crazy around the aisleway.  They are good at vacuuming up any scattered hay here and there.  

They not only vacuum up the little piles of scattered hay but they quickly tear up the bale meant for the sheep.  Copenhagen the Alpaca has no problem helping. 

There is no moving aside when Shelly scoops the hay either.  After destroying the hay, as if planned they run back and forth up and down the aisle, bouncing off walls and butting at each other. 

 There are no limits.  Everything requires a look into or a jump on.

 Even the empty feed dish, gets the once over.

 Eventually each kid is caught and stalled with Copenhagen, but never fear, there is plenty of hay and fun things to jump and play on still. By the time the afternoon rolls around the kids are screaming across the aisle to their mamas and the mamas scream back.  It makes afternoon chores very loud.  It's like auditory warfare!  It drives me nuts.

 The Suffolk are starting to lamb as well.  I love their wrinkly skin, they remind me a bit of elephants.  Weird I know. 
This little guy was born while I was taking snapshots of the goat kids.  Mama already had him cleaned off and nursing by the time I made it to his run.

 They are all legs and ears.  The are so gangly and uncoordinated.  So different from my goats who seem to possess agility and the ability to climb anything the minute they hit the ground.  

 Jersey Cow is still cranky.  She's not getting special treatment and she feels as if she deserves it.  I've also pastured a couple of Highland steers with her and she's not use to sharing.  Very stingy girl. 

What blog would be complete without a picture of Miss America herself, Rigatoni!  She's growing up fast.  She's sprouted little nubins on her She Devil head.  Since Poky (mom) is polled and I couldn't feel anything earlier I thought she might be polled too.  Good thing for her she's not.  She'll be going to a home with other goats and she's gonna need those horns to match her attitude.  
 
 I tried to get a few pictures of Jezebel, but this one was the best I could do.  Jezebel has got to be in your lap and chewing on your clothing or the universe will not continue to survive.

 Jazz wanted to know why the little twerp, Rigatoni has been getting all the attention.  Didn't she just have babies last year?  Weren't they just as cute?  I gave her a handful of Fritos and a half of a banana and she seemed to be placated. 

 Aurora and Flower took advantage of the sunshine and soaked up a few rays.

 Cindy allowed me to get this close to her.  She did come closer when I offered her Fritos, but only for an instant and then she was off again surveying her realm.

Before I left the goat yard, Rigatoni used the draw string from my jacket to demonstrate the proper way to slurp pasta.  Only fitting a goat named Rigatoni would know how to slurp pasta.

2 comments:

  1. Well, after looking at my dirt floors in my Civil War era barn, those tidy cement floors are very appealling. Just can't afford to go there.
    The goats look very healthy.

    Best get going and muck mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only the aisle is cement! The stalls are either dirt or a few have stall mats in them. Thankfully my new milk barn is over a concrete slab so spraying it out is easy but alas all the other stall have to be mucked. I think I might like your Civil War era barn. My post Desert Storm barn is metal which translates to COLD!

    Have fun mucking!

    ReplyDelete